Your cart is empty
Your shopping cart is empty, click below to continue shopping.Continue Shopping
Bringing together the umami oomph of roasted onions and garlic, and the bewitching aromas of turmeric, mustard seed and other masala-inspired flavours, Golden Vadouvan spice mix is huge on flavour and endlessly versatile.
Best known as the spice mix served with kedgeree – a biryani made with smoked fish and dotted with soft boiled eggs – vadouvan adds a savoury, spicy, aromatic punch to almost any dish.
While we think most recipes are improved with a little sprinkle of golden vadouvan, these are some our favourite uses and applications:
– Make a batch of this incredible golden vadouvan butter and keep it in the fridge for up to 10 days. Toss it through roasted carrots, cauliflower, pumpkin or other veggies, melt over seared steak, slather over a chicken prior to roasting or simply spread over a sliced baguette and bake for a few minutes for an explosive take on garlic bread.
– Stir into a warming pot of cream for a quick, complex sauce that’s perfect with grilled prawns or chicken.
– Combine vadouvan with olive oil and use as a rub for barbecued lamb cutlets or chicken thighs.
– Sprinkle golden vadouvan liberally over poached, fried or scrambled eggs.
– Add to breadcrumbs when making your next chicken, veal or pork schnitzel.
– Sear fresh scallops, then season with golden vadouvan and serve with cauliflower puree.
– Use to finish a biryani or kedgeree, along with a stem of crisp fried curry leaves.
– Add a complex and aromatic twist to curried eggs.
– Sprinkle over pastry, focaccia or flatbread before baking for a spicy crunch.
– Use as a dip for flatbread alongside a bowl of quality extra virgin olive oil (just as you would use dukkah)
Find The Essential Ingredient Golden Vadouvan Spice Mix in your nearest The Essential Ingredient store, or buy online for delivery to anywhere in Australia.