- This event has passed.
Vietnamese Street Food
Vietnamese street food vendors are geared up to feed the masses, no one cooks at home and evenings are spent with family and friends in the great outdoors eating street food using produce that is abundant and fresh. Vietnamese cuisine is balanced, healthy and delicious.
This 3-hour, hands-on course covers 3 popular Vietnamese dishes and includes a sit down dinner with a cold beer or wine.
Banh Xeo – traditional crispy pancake with salad, prawns and dressing
Popular street food all over Vietnam, this dish celebrates all the stunning fresh green leaves and herbs used in Vietnamese cooking.
Crispy Vegetarian Spring Roll with Classic Dipping Sauce
Learn the art of rolling these perfectly and the right balance of ingredients to make a perfect sauce
Com Tam – Lemongrass Grilled Pork with Vietnamese sticky rice
Simple and delicious!
Goi Buoi – Pomelo salad with grilled calamari.
The Chef will show you how to clean and prepare the whole calamari, a skill that you will use ongoing.
About the Chef
Growing up in Penang, Wanitha moved to Australia in 1982. She learned the art of cooking from her father, who he was the Head Chef of the Kedah Royal Family in Malaysia. Wanitha later started her own restaurant and cooking school. She is a real goddess of flavours and spice and with her engaging personality, her positive energy and her incredible knowledge of food she will show you the secrets of Thai cooking.
“Food is togetherness, creating deep connections between people, place and soil, linking the globe across time and culture. Cooking is history. Every dish tells a story.” (Wanitha Tanasingam)
St Margaret’s Car Park at 417-435 Bourke Street, Surry Hills is a great option for parking with 80 spaces available and a 5-minute walk from the Cooking School. Casual parking rates after 5pm are $4/hour.
- Cancellations are non-refundable.
- A change in personal circumstances does not entitle a ticket holder to return or exchange a ticket.
- All bookings are confirmed on receipt of full payment and if a seat is available.
- Reservations may be transferred to other classes with 30 days notice.
- If you are unable to attend a reserved booking, you are welcome to send someone else in your place.
- Reservations for classes and events close 30 minutes prior to the start time.
- All classes and events require closed-in shoes.
- The Essential Ingredient reserves the right to alter or cancel a class. Every effort is made to contact and accommodate guests in the event of alterations or cancellations. If a class is cancelled or moved to a date and/or time you are unavailable, you are entitled to a full refund.
- Please inform staff of any dietary requirements whilst making a booking, we will attempt to accommodate you to the best of our abilities. Please contact us on 02 9555 8300.
Proudly sponsored by:
The Cooking School at The Essential Ingredient Surry Hills offers a variety of cooking classes hosted by dedicated local and international chefs in a relaxed and friendly environment.