Singapore Sizzle with Wanitha
Hawkers Corner is the heart and soul of Singapore’s street food scene, a melting pot of cuisines from surrounding Asian countries. From the sights, smells and sounds of a hawker stall you’ll experience what we’ve come to call the ‘Singapore Sizzle’.
During this 3-hour course, you will create a feast of dishes typically sold at Hawker’s Corner. The menu is fun and delicious but you will also be learning some fundamental techniques that you will then be able to use for many different aspects of cooking including how to prepare and cook fresh crab.
Complete the course by getting your fingers sticky as it’s the only way to enjoy chilli crab and then refresh your palette with a Singapore Sling!
- Singapore Chilli Crab– using Aussie sweet juicy Blue Swimmers
- Sizzling Singapore Noodles– famous in Singapore with Indian influenced flavours
- Garlic Prawns– straight off the fiery grill as they would do at Hawker’s Corner
- Sweet Ondeh Ondeh – Palm sugar dumpling rolled in fresh coconut
- Singapore Slings!!
To avoid the online booking fee, or if you would like to redeem an Essential Ingredient Gift Card, please contact us directly and we will enroll you into this class over the phone (on 02 4926 1991), or visit us in-store.
About the Chef
Growing up in Penang, Wanitha moved to Australia in 1982. She learned the art of cooking from her father, who he was the Head Chef of the Kedah Royal Family in Malaysia. Wanitha later started her own restaurant and cooking school. She is a real goddess of flavours and spice and with her engaging personality, her positive energy and her incredible knowledge of food she will show you the secrets of Singaporean cooking.
“Food is togetherness, creating deep connections between people, place and soil, linking the globe across time and culture. Cooking is history. Every dish tells a story.” (Wanitha Tanasingam)
To Do List:
- Wear closed toe shoes (we love your toes where they are),
- Pull long hair back off your face (“waiter, there’s a hair in my soup”),
- Inform us of any dietary requirements prior to purchasing your ticket/s. Please also be aware that some requirements and/or allergies cannot be catered to – depending on the class.
- There are often leftovers at the end of each class so we ask that you bring Tupperware from home to put them in, as we will no longer be handing out plastic containers in our bid to save the environment.
No refunds/transfers/credits on cancellations, regardless of illness or a change in personal circumstance. For a complete look at the Terms & Conditions of The Cooking School at The Essential Ingredient Newcastle, visit our website.
Before you attend a cooking class at the Essential Ingredient Newcastle it is important that each and every attendee become familiar with the precautionary measures we have adopted in light of COVID-19. Please click on the following link to read our COVID-19 Hygiene and Safety Standards or call our store for more information.