- This event has passed.
It’s Fika time! What is Fika? It’s a Swedish word that means to take coffee and cake with friends or coworkers. It’s all about ritual, togetherness and breaking bread (or buns! together). Together we will explore Scandinavian Baking through some classic Fika favourites.
You’ll learn how to culture your own rye starter for Danish Rugbrod, how to perfectly knot Swedish Cardamom or Cinnamon buns and also how to make the classic Dream Cake, a magical layered cake that makes the most of seasonal fruits. Baker Kelly Syms will guide you through a fantastic Fika-fest and even serve you a delicious homemade bowl of soup for lunch with her homemade Rugbrod.
- Danish Rugbrod (Dark, savoury and seeded rye bread that’s perfect with open-faced sandwiches)
- Kardemummabullar (Swedish Cardamom Buns)
- Swedish Drommekage (Dream Cake, topped with Caramel Oats, Coconut and seasonal fruit)
- For Lunch we’ll have a warming bowl of soup coupled with rye bread and condiments.
To avoid the online booking fee, or if you would like to redeem an Essential Ingredient Gift Card, please contact us directly and we will enroll you into this class over the phone (on 02 4926 1991), or visit us in-store.
To Do List:
- Wear closed toe shoes (we love your toes where they are),
- Pull long hair back off your face (“waiter, there’s a hair in my soup”),
- Inform us of any dietary requirements prior to purchasing your ticket/s. Please also be aware that some requirements and/or allergies cannot be catered to – depending on the class.
- There are often leftovers at the end of each class so we ask that you bring Tupperware from home to put them in, as we will no longer be handing out plastic containers in our bid to save the environment.
No refunds/transfers/credits on cancellations, regardless of illness or a change in personal circumstance. For a complete look at the Terms & Conditions of The Cooking School at The Essential Ingredient Newcastle, visit our website.