- This event has passed.
Nose to Tail Butchery – Surry Hills
During this 5 hour course, Butcher Andrew Morabito and Chef Jeffrey Simonetta will join forces with each other and an entire pig!
This course focuses on teaching you some key butchery skills where Andrew will explain all the specific cuts of meat and show you the techniques required to portion down the pig.
You will then work with Jeffrey and Andrew to create an extensive menu that will show you how many different dishes can be created using every part of the pig including the ‘lesser cuts’ that aren’t commonly used
It’s going to be a busy day with loads to do and there will be a sumptuous feast to eat upon completion with some nice chilled craft beers.
Techniques learnt in this course
– Breakdown of the beast
– Identification of different cuts
– Braising and many other cooking techniques as you create this extensive menu
Smoked Ribs Andrew will be bringing in his smoker and firing it up
Schnitzel each student will be portioning their own, bashing it down and preparing it to cook
Pork Pie Andrew will show you how to render down the pork lard, turn it into pastry and make a pork pie
Roasted Porchetta includes the art of preparing amazing crackling
Red Braised Hock with trotter, tail and cheeks. A Jeffrey special, slow braised Chinese recipe using aromatics
Pea Soup with ears and snout
Fresh Pork and Fennel Sausages using everything else!
To do list!
– Wear closed toed shoes (no 6-inch heels ladies!)
– Please tie back long hair
– Arrive early as the class will start on time (there’s a lot to fit in!)
– Save the environment and bring a container in case of leftovers
We love Planet Earth
The Cooking School believes in recycling, reducing waste and reusing where possible. All food waste is collected by an organic recycling company that converts the waste into reusable energy.
St Margaret’s Car Park at 417-435 Bourke Street, Surry Hills is a great option for parking with 80 spaces available and a 5-minute walk from the Cooking School. Casual parking rates after 5pm are $4/hour.
- Cancellations are non-refundable.
- A change in personal circumstances does not entitle a ticket holder to return or exchange a ticket.
- All bookings are confirmed on receipt of full payment and if a seat is available.
- Reservations may be transferred to other classes with 30 days notice.
- If you are unable to attend a reserved booking, you are welcome to send someone else in your place.
- Reservations for classes and events close 30 minutes prior to the start time.
- All classes and events require closed-in shoes.
- The Essential Ingredient reserves the right to alter or cancel a class. Every effort is made to contact and accommodate guests in the event of alterations or cancellations. If a class is cancelled or moved to a date and/or time you are unavailable, you are entitled to a full refund.
- Please inform staff of any dietary requirements whilst making a booking, we will attempt to accommodate you to the best of our abilities. Please contact us on 02 9555 8300.
Proudly sponsored by:
The Cooking School at The Essential Ingredient Surry Hills offers a variety of cooking classes hosted by dedicated local and international chefs in a relaxed and friendly environment.