- This event has passed.
Molecular Gastronomy – Surry Hills
The intriguing world of molecular gastronomy will be unmasked in this 3hr hands-on class. Learn fundamental techniques including Spherification, gels and turning unlikely ingredients into soils. You will be expertly guided through each step by Chef Brian Steel as you create your own molecular gastronomy wonders.
Spherified Cocktails (Mojito and Raspberry Gimlet)
Thai Green Curry Noodles with Blue Swimmer Crab
Ultimate Mac n Cheese with Chorizo Soil
Caramelised Carrot Brûlée.
To do list!
– Wear closed toed shoes (no 6-inch heels ladies!)
– Please tie back long hair
– Arrive early as the class will start on time (there’s a lot to fit in!)
– Save the environment and bring a container in case of leftovers
We love Planet Earth
The Cooking School believes in recycling, reducing waste and reusing where possible. All food waste is collected by an organic recycling company that converts the waste into reusable energy.
St Margaret’s Car Park at 417-435 Bourke Street, Surry Hills is a great option for parking with 80 spaces available and a 5-minute walk from the Cooking School. Casual parking rates after 5 pm are $4/hour.
ABOUT THE CHEF:
Brian Steel has a Cordon Bleu Master’s Degree in Gastronomy, and more than a decades worth of knowledge and experience with modernist cuisine, its foundations and techniques. Brian’s Molecular Gastronomy expertise is now highly sought after by both chefs and home cooks alike. He has collaborated globally in this field and regularly consults with chefs and restaurateurs to help in the development of new dishes with a modern twist.
His classes will provide you with the foundational knowledge and skills to create such things spherifications, hot gels, flavoured noodles, soils/powders, and hot and cold foams. This will provide you with the confidence to explore what is an exciting area of cooking, which simply centres on a better understanding of both method and ingredients.
No matter what the approach, from a simple braise to a highly complex molecular dish, Brian’s basic philosophy is the same: it needs to taste fantastic.
- Cancellations are non-refundable.
- A change in personal circumstances does not entitle a ticket holder to return or exchange a ticket.
- All bookings are confirmed on receipt of full payment and if a seat is available.
- Reservations may be transferred to other classes with 30 days notice.
- If you are unable to attend a reserved booking, you are welcome to send someone else in your place.
- Reservations for classes and events close 30 minutes prior to the start time.
- All classes and events require closed-in shoes.
- The Essential Ingredient reserves the right to alter or cancel a class. Every effort is made to contact and accommodate guests in the event of alterations or cancellations. If a class is cancelled or moved to a date and/or time you are unavailable, you are entitled to a full refund.
- Please inform staff of any dietary requirements whilst making a booking, we will attempt to accommodate you to the best of our abilities. Please contact us on 02 9555 8300.
Proudly sponsored by:
The Cooking School at The Essential Ingredient Surry Hills offers a variety of cooking classes hosted by dedicated local and international chefs in a relaxed and friendly environment.