- This event has passed.
Malaysian Curries with Wanitha
Malaysian Cuisine is rich in heritage and heavily influenced by its surrounding countries like India, China and Thailand. Curries are eaten every day by most Malays and are wonderfully aromatic and flavoursome.
Join Wanitha Tanasingam for this class where she will share some of these beautiful winter warming recipes from her homeland country.
- Malay Fish Curry- Indian influenced with curry leaf, tamarind and chilli
- Lemak – fragrant coconut based curry with prawns and tofu
- Ayam Goreng – fried Malaysian style chicken
- Aromatic rice with pandan leaf
- Sambal Belcan- Malaysian chilli condiment
- Ikan Bilis- Fried anchovies that are compulsory in Malaysia to snack on with curry!
To avoid the online booking fee, or if you would like to redeem an Essential Ingredient Gift Card, please contact us directly and we will enroll you into this class over the phone (on 02 4926 1991), or visit us in-store.
We also would like to notify all attendees that they will have to provide proof of full vaccination before arrival via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), sign in via QR code, and also be fully masked for the duration of the class (except when eating).
About the Chef
Growing up in Penang, Wanitha moved to Australia in 1982. She learned the art of cooking from her father, who he was the Head Chef of the Kedah Royal Family in Malaysia. Wanitha later started her own restaurant and cooking school. She is a real goddess of flavours and spice and with her engaging personality, her positive energy and her incredible knowledge of food she will show you the secrets of Malaysian cooking.
“Food is togetherness, creating deep connections between people, place and soil, linking the globe across time and culture. Cooking is history. Every dish tells a story.” (Wanitha Tanasingam)
To Do List:
- Wear closed toe shoes (we love your toes where they are),
- Pull long hair back off your face (“waiter, there’s a hair in my soup”),
- Inform us of any dietary requirements prior to purchasing your ticket/s. Please also be aware that some requirements and/or allergies cannot be catered to – depending on the class.
- There are often leftovers at the end of each class so we ask that you bring Tupperware from home to put them in, as we will no longer be handing out plastic containers in our bid to save the environment.
No refunds/transfers/credits on cancellations, regardless of illness or a change in personal circumstance. For a complete look at the Terms & Conditions of The Cooking School at The Essential Ingredient Newcastle, visit our website.
Before you attend a cooking class at the Essential Ingredient Newcastle it is important that each and every attendee become familiar with the precautionary measures we have adopted in light of COVID-19. Please click on the following link to read our COVID-19 Hygiene and Safety Standards or call our store for more information.