- This event has passed.
Food Styling and Photography
Take your food photography to the next level at this workshop in Sydney.
Amazing food photos are gold – they can make or break your foodie blog, send your Instagram likes soaring or bring hungry customers via your Facebook page.
But it’s not as easy as you’d think to nail that laidback latte or effortless eggs shot – and that’s why some lucky folks call food styling their day job. Meet passionate foodie Sara McCleary. A food and travel writer, she also styles and photographs the wickedly tempting images on her Belly Rumbles blog and Insta page.
At this 3-hour workshop, Sara will take you through the fundamentals of food styling so you can create amazing food images using props and lighting you have at home – along with your smartphone, a few insider tricks and some very clever apps!
You’ll get the basic skills (and loads of tips, tricks and confidence) to plate, style and compose some very “likeable” and tasty food pics.
This class is perfect for food bloggers, Instagrammers and café owners wanting to improve their food styling and photography. It is also suitable for home cooks and foodies who want to learn more about plating and styling.
This 3-hour hands-on workshop will cover the basics of food styling and smartphone photography as you plate and style up three picture-perfect dishes.
On the “menu”…
Picture-perfect cheese platter (everybody say cheese!)
Grilled triple-decker sandwich (the toastie with the mostie)
A sweet and creamy parfait glass dessert (more sprinkles, please)
Some food photography do’s and don’ts
Plating your dishes and using props to create context
Composition: how to fill the space, how to use negative space
Finishing and posting your images
Please note: This is not a cooking class, so you’ll be working with quality pre-prepared foods, and the focus will be on plating and photographing. Although there will be some food available for snacking (and you may eat your masterpieces when you’re done snapping), this workshop does not include a full sit-down meal. We are not able to provide substitute ingredients for people with allergies or food intolerances.
Please come prepared…
Please bring your own smartphone or digital camera
Make sure you have loads of free space and/or extra memory card
Registration is from 15 minutes prior to the start time
All participants must wear closed-in shoes
Please tie long hair back and wear comfortable, practical clothing for the kitchen.
Avoid disappointment. Enrol early.
St Margaret’s Car Park at 417-435 Bourke Street, Surry Hills is a great option for parking with 80 spaces available and a 5-minute walk from the Cooking School. Casual parking rates after 5pm are $4/hour.
- Cancellations are non-refundable.
- A change in personal circumstances does not entitle a ticket holder to return or exchange a ticket.
- All bookings are confirmed on receipt of full payment and if a seat is available.
- Reservations may be transferred to other classes with 30 days notice.
- If you are unable to attend a reserved booking, you are welcome to send someone else in your place.
- Reservations for classes and events close 30 minutes prior to the start time.
- All classes and events require closed-in shoes.
- The Essential Ingredient reserves the right to alter or cancel a class. Every effort is made to contact and accommodate guests in the event of alterations or cancellations. If a class is cancelled or moved to a date and/or time you are unavailable, you are entitled to a full refund.
- Please inform staff of any dietary requirements whilst making a booking, we will attempt to accommodate you to the best of our abilities. Please contact us on 02 9555 8300.
Proudly sponsored by:
The Cooking School at The Essential Ingredient Surry Hills offers a variety of cooking classes hosted by dedicated local and international chefs in a relaxed and friendly environment.