- This event has passed.
Culinary Knife Skills
“A chopping board, a knife and a bowl of produce walk into a bar… “
If your knife skills (or lack there of) are keeping you out of the kitchen join our cooking class on Tuesday 3rd August and let Chef Paul Niddrie be your personal knife guru!
We’ll begin with foundational knife skills – how to properly hold a knife and how to position your opposite hand for stability and safety. How to maintain its edge, how to set up a cutting surface and how to tackle each bit of produce with safety, accuracy and efficiency in mind.
We’ll also be deboning a whole chicken, showing you how to roast the bones to make a superb chicken stock then we’ll use the legs in a classic winter warmer – the chicken pie – with a bit of flair.
We’ll chop up a white mirepoix which will then be turned into a silky velouté for our pie.
Finally you’ll make quick work of of a basket of veggies to produce our super-savoury sides.
Class includes 20% off knife of choice from our cabinet – REDEEMABLE ONLY ON THE NIGHT!
- Sumptuous Layered Chicken Pie with Miso, Corn, Tarragon, Chervil, Mustard and Chestnuts
- Brussells Sprouts with Chiffonaded Kale, Speck, Hazelnut, Reypenaer, Lemon and Kewpie
- Celeriac Remoulade – a wonderfully versatile sauce you’ll use everywhere!
To avoid the online booking fee, or if you would like to redeem an Essential Ingredient Gift Card, please contact us directly and we will enrol you into this class over the phone (on 02 4926 1991), or visit us in-store.
To Do List:
- Wear closed toe shoes (we love your toes where they are),
- Pull long hair back off your face (“waiter, there’s a hair in my soup”),
- Inform us of any dietary requirements prior to purchasing your ticket/s. Please also be aware that some requirements and/or allergies cannot be catered to – depending on the class.
- There are often leftovers at the end of each class so we ask that you bring Tupperware from home to put them in, as we will no longer be handing out plastic containers in our bid to save the environment.
No refunds/transfers/credits on cancellations, regardless of illness or a change in personal circumstance. For a complete look at the Terms & Conditions of The Cooking School at The Essential Ingredient Newcastle, visit our website.
Before you attend a cooking class at the Essential Ingredient Newcastle it is important that each and every attendee become familiar with the precautionary measures we have adopted in light of COVID-19. Please click on the following link to read our COVID-19 Hygiene and Safety Standards or call our store for more information.