‘Pidapipo: Gelato Eight Days a Week’ by Lisa Valmorbida is not just a recipe book, it’s a celebration of all things ice cream. Bologna-trained gelato expert Lisa Valmorbida opened her ice cream shop in Melbourne in 2014, and it has quickly become a must-visit destination.
The recipes and stories in this book both celebrate and eschew tradition in equal measures. And thanks to Hardie Grant Books, we have 5 copies to give away!
To win a copy, email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us which The Essential Ingredient product you’d most like to turn into an ice cream flavour.
Entries close Sunday 18 February (full Terms and conditions below).
This recipe from the book, made from rich, dark chocolate, is one of our favourites.
1. Put the caster sugar, dextrose, skim milk powder, dark muscovado sugar and cocoa powder in a bowl and mix to combine.
2. Put the carob bean powder in a separate bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of the sugar mixture and mix together well.
3. Pour the milk, cream and water into a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Whisk in the carob bean powder mixture and continue to heat, whisking in the sugar mixture as you go, until it hits 85°C (185°F). Remove from the heat, add the chocolate and whisk together until the chocolate has melted into the mixture and everything is well combined. Pour into a suitable lidded container and leave to cool in the freezer for 1 hour, or until the mixture drops to 4°C (39°F).
4. Turn on your gelato maker so it begins the freezing process.
5. Pour the mixture into your gelato maker. Once the mixture reaches -4°C (25°F) or is the consistency of soft-serve ice cream (this should take about 30-45 minutes) detach the canister or scoop the gelato into a pre-cooled lidded container. Transfer to the freezer and leave for at least 1 hour to harden before serving.
Extract from Pidapipo: Gelato Eight Days a Week by Lisa Valmorbida, published by Hardie Grant Books, RRP $40, with photography by Lauren Bamford.
Terms and Conditions:
Five winners will be chosen randomly from correctly submitted entries. Only one entry per individual will be entered into the draw. Entries must be submitted by 12:01am on Sunday 18 February 2018. Winners will be selected by The Essential Ingredient and will be notified via email. Entrants must be residents of Australia and must be 18 years of age or older. Entry is not open to employees of The Essential Ingredient or their families. Each prize is valued at AUD$39.99. The Essential Ingredient retains the right to publish the winner’s name. Prize is not transferable or exchangeable.