Celebrating mothers isn’t something that should be relegated to one day of the year, but any excuse for a little extra showering of love is an opportunity we’re keen to embrace.
And while Mother’s Day can also be a difficult day for some, reflecting on our mothers, our own parental journeys, and any of the amazing women in our lives is the kind of special experience that is best paired with a special meal.
Breakfast in bed has become a punchline in recent years, the often cobbled-together meal showcasing overcooked eggs and cold coffee, and leaving an apocalyptic mess in the kitchen. But with a little care and some specially selected ingredients, you can give the amazing mother in your life the breakfast she deserves.
Some of our favourite ideas for a decadent and festive breakfast or brunch include:
- Whipping up a batch of fluffy vanilla-spiked blueberry pancakes served with a chunk of butter and lashings of maple syrup
- Covering freshly-baked scones with generous spoonfuls of our Australian-made jams – packed with pieces of local fruit – and topped with a pile of whipped cream
- Brewing a pot of quality English Breakfast tea made from the finest tips of orange pekoe, or a mug of our Masala Spiced Chai
- Adding a grown-up hit of flavour to a bacon and egg roll with a spoonful of Drunken Sailor’s Smokey Tomato Relish or Whisky Piccalilli
- Cooking up a batch of these Belgian waffles with grilled stonefruit
- Spreading buttery Pepe Saya Lemon Curd or one of our incredible Australian honeys over a fresh slice of sourdough
- Making brunch a sweet affair with a selection of chocolates and confections, gathered from Australia and around the world
- Giving scrambled eggs a Japanese twist by adding a spoonful of chilli miso to the pan, and drizzling the cooked eggs with green onion oil
- Deploying some of our vibrant pickled cherries in that ham and cheese toastie
Whatever you choose to cook for your favourite mum, a few carefully selected ingredients can transform a disappointing breakfast into a truly celebratory spread.
Visit your nearest The Essential Ingredient store for more inspiration, or shop online for delivery to anywhere in Australia.