The Essential Ingredient is a food and kitchenware franchise based in The Junction. We have been operating since 2005, and we supply food to some of Newcastle’s best restaurants. We also have a busy retail business, an inhouse deli, and cooking school.
At the Essential Ingredient we pride ourselves on customer service and quality products. We also pride ourselves in being a very pleasurable work environment. In every action, transaction and interaction we focus on ‘inspiring better cooking”.
About The Opportunity
- We need someone with retail passion and extensive quality cheese knowledge to join our team. Someone with a genuine love of quality food, and an ability to juggle great customer service while making coffee, preparing cheese boards and packing orders for our wholesale customers. They might even be helping a bride select produce for a celebration cheese cake. This job is not for the faint hearted. Working days will be busy and we need someone who will add value to our business by:
- Providing excellent customer service
- Helping to inspire our customers through interactive discussion and support
- Replenishing stock and creating displays that reflect our trends and current promotions
- Carrying out any duties in our Deli but is also happy to help our retail team.
What we will love about you:
- First and foremost, we’ll notice your commitment, drive, energy and determination to create the ultimate customer experience. You will be able to demonstrate your extensive sales experience and will have a history of excellent work performance.
- The second thing we’ll notice about you is that you’re just as happy flying solo and getting on with the role as well as your outstanding ability to work as part of a team.
- The third thing we’ll notice is that you think about food all day long. You’ll talk about food and cooking techniques until ‘normal’ people’s eyes roll back and they start snoring. But you will know you’ve found kindred spirits in us.
- We will love your knowledge of cheese, accoutrements and charcuterie.
- You’ll be able to collaborate, ask for feedback and apply it effortlessly. You won’t be afraid to try something new, assist and support other staff members and you will be flexible with tasks and won’t be territorial over your work area.
- Finally, you’ll respect the hard work that has gone into creating our store and you will support the style guides and standards and know how to bring your creative flair within those parameters.
What You’ll Love about us
- The ability to talk about food all day long
- Everchanging and new products; there’s never a moment to get bored
- Constant calcium intake (ie cheese tasting) – remember life is all about balance
- Great training and coaching to get you up and running, ongoing training and collaboration
- Daytime shifts, including weekends and the encouragement to have work life balance – though we do have some evening special events
- Great store discounts and an awesome team
What You Need To Bring To The Table
- Your previous experience in retail, food service or a high quality deli environment
- Your broad knowledge of international and local cheese and charcuterie
- Your extensive knowledge of food hygiene
- Your certification in food safety (or willingness to get this)
- Your previous experience in retail
- Your awesome attitude to do what it takes to make things happen
- Sound knowledge and understanding of food, equipment and cooking techniques
- Physically fit and not afraid to stand all day
- Ability to focus on the job while multitasking and keeping a sense of humour
- Flexibility and availability – as an essential service we operate during lockdowns – the ability to attend work during this time is required
If you are truly interested in this position place the word FROMAGE within the application. We’ll get it!
Please send a letter of introduction to email@example.com telling us why you’re ready to ‘cheese the day’ with us at Essential Newcastle.