Anchovies are a versatile powerhouse of an ingredient; one we find ourselves reaching for frequently to add flavour and seasoning to not only Mediterranean dishes, but wherever a hit of umami is needed.
Plump, pink-hued and not overly salty, quality preserved anchovies should taste of the sea and melt easily in the mouth, or into a sauce, braise or dip.
And while there are plenty of classic applications for this remarkable fish – draped over a wood-fired pizza, tossed through a Caesar salad, or emulsified into a buttery bagna cauda dip – there are a host of other ways to deploy them in your cooking. These are some of our team’s favourites:
- Stir together an anchovy butter – perfect with pasta and popcorn, steak and seafood, on toast (soldiers) with a boiled egg or slathered over a cauliflower before roasting.
- Drape anchovies over sourdough topped with poached egg
- Spaghetti with anchovies, garlic, parsley, chilli and capers
- Bake some quick anchovy pastry straws using puff pastry from the freezer
- Anchovy-spiked lamb served with anchovy cream
- Fried Sicilian anchovy-topped flatbread
- Make a classic pissaladier with anchovies, slow-cooked onions and olives
- Fry croutons in extra virgin olive oil with a few anchovies for a crunchy, umami addition to tomato salads
- Whip up a Caesar salad, with anchovy dressing
Cantara anchovies are sourced from the warm waters of the Spanish Catabrian coast, carefully filleted, and packed in quality extra virgin olive oil. Find them in-store, or buy online for delivery to anywhere in Australia.