To most of the world beetroot is a wintertime staple, but to Australians it is an iconic summer ingredient with a dedicated following. Pair its earthy sweetness with the vibrant citrus punch of blood orange and the saltiness of feta, and you have the perfect combination for an anytime side dish.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Wash and peel beetroot and place in medium sized roasting dish. Drizzle with olive oil and vincotto and season with salt and pepper. Cover with aluminium foil and roast for 45 minutes.
- Peel blood oranges ensuring that all the pith has been removed. Using a sharp knife slice the blood orange into round discs approximately 4mm thick. Set aside.
- Remove the beetroot from the oven and allow to cool. Slice beetroot into discs the same width as the blood orange.
- Using a circular layering pattern lay out your blood orange and beetroot on a round platter.
- Cover and place in fridge for 30 minutes to cool before serving.
- Remove from fridge and crumble feta evenly across the plate and finish with the sprigs of mint.
- Drizzle the extra vincotto and olive oil over the salad before serving.