Garlic is one of those incredible ingredients it’s difficult to imagine living without, adding flavour, aroma and vibrancy to so many savoury dishes across almost every cuisine.
Whether roasted, stir-fried, slow-cooked or fried, used in a marinade, a dressing, a sauce or a stew, garlic both brings a flavour of its own and enhances the flavour of all other ingredients it mingles with.
Black garlic transforms this classic, ubiquitous ingredient into something familiar, yet entirely new.
Produced by carefully ageing organic Australian garlic in a temperature-controlled environment for up to 60 days, a gentle fermentation process transforms it into dark, sticky bulbs of pure flavour.
With caramel notes that evoke both molasses and aged balsamic vinegar, black garlic has almost as many applications as its raw counterpart, adding satisfying umami to any dish that it’s grated or sliced over, stirred through or blended with.
Our favourite applications for The Essential Ingredient Black Garlic include:
- Grated over a brunch plate of smashed peas, feta, morels and poached eggs
- Finely sliced over crostini
- Diced and sprinkled onto a bowl of warm congee
- Blended with butter and rubbed under chicken skin prior to roasting
- Shaved over grilled mushrooms
- Mixed into your favourite gravy or sauce
- Incorporated into a homemade black garlic aioli
- Rubbed onto a steak with salt and pepper before grilling